Links for Canadian Research

My Zumstein, Comfort, Marr, and Shafley lived in Ontraio, Canada. It pays to know where to look for information about these ancestors. I am thankful to Cyndi's List for all the effort she does there. This post is more for me to collect all my links into one spot and why.

Could I use bookmarks? Possibly. But, I find that I search my blog for help doing my research. So, I would have better chance finding these links again quickly if they were on my blog. Additionally, this blog also serves as my research workbook, if you will. And, it will serve as a history of my research for those who take up the cause after me. So... there are so many reasons why I'm sharing these links...

CanadaGenWeb's Cemetery Project

I like using this cemetery project website for information about graves in Ontario. Although, Find A Grave is easier to work with, I haven't found as much on that website for the Ontario cemeteries of interest for my research. As of today, it's still a bit tricky to navigate, but it's worth the effort to at least see the names, if not the photos, of persons in the Lincoln, Ontario cemeteries for clues.

Canadian Geographic: Historical Maps

It has been said that when you know the maps of an area, you can understand a place's history better. I really like this website. I find the way the maps are overlaid on each other wonderful. You can click on the map of 1700, and then click on the map for 1862 and see how the territories of Canada changed. Below the map links is historical information which helps put the changes into historical perspective. This website is great for context information about the changes of Canada.


Elcho : the Church of Many Generations

I have a great number of relatives who were active members of the Elcho United Church (Elcho, Ont.). This book was published in 1993 and provides many biographical sketches of the members, many which 'belong' to me. I wish I could obtain a copy of this book (or an eBook of it would be better). Someday. For now, I know it exists.

United Empire Loyalist
The website says... "the United Empire Loyalists were those who had been settled in the thirteen colonies at the outbreak of the American Revolution, who remained loyal to and took up the Royal Standard, and who settled in what is now Canada at the end of the war."

I'm such an 'American.' I can't fathom people really wanting to stay loyal to England, though I know many did. When I learned that a Comfort Ancestor stayed loyal to the crown and fled to Canada, I was humbled in my perspective. I found some great information on the applications to be a member of the UELAC. I learned that a few Comforts did join the rebellion while others remained loyal. The loyalist may have had to move, but they were rewarded with land in Canada. I read the split of brothers and I was crushed. When families divide over political and religious views, it's a tough pill to swallow.

I'm so glad I came across this website. I have already found additional loyalist's mentioned on this website who are in my database to investigate 'someday.'

Ontario GenWeb Project: Land Records
I haven't investigated this website fully yet. However, I did find the information about how to find land records helpful and informative. After my trip to Canada this summer, I hope to take up the search of Zumstein, Marr and Shafely land records.

Zumsteins on Clan Waddell Site
I received a database filled with citations from "Nora Zumstein's Zumstein Family Binder." On this website, the Zumsteins are included on their family tree. 


Aside: That's all for now. Whew!!! My Evernote notes have decreased by 5 entries!

Comments

  1. It sounds like your trip to Canada will take you to Ontario, Devon, but if you're coming to the West Coast (British Columbia), where I am, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep you posted. My hubby served a mission in Vancouver, BC. Someday it would be nice to visit the place I've heard so much about. Quite honestly, I didn't think we'd ever make a trip to Ontario while my kids were young. I'm super excited.

      Any tips on what to do in Montreal?

      Delete
    2. When I was last in Montreal over 25 years ago, I mostly concentrated on genealogical research, but I remember visiting Old Montreal where historical Notre-Dame Basilica and the Château Ramezay are located. Take a look at http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/ and you'll find lots of great places for families, for history, and attractions. Whatever you do in that world-class city, you're sure to have an unforgetable experience!

      Delete
  2. Hi Devon, thanks. I have a lot of Canadian ancestors, many of whom were indeed Loyalists. One ancestor was actually a "Hessian" (actually from Brunswick) who was sent here to fight the Americans. After the war (during which most of his time was spent as a POW), he ended up settling in Canada rather than going back to Germany.

    On my father's side, my paternal grandfather was Russian Jewish immigrant, and most of his siblings went to Canada because they couldn't get into the U.S. Many of my great aunts and uncles are buried in Ontario, in fact, at Jewish Memorial Gardens.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America