Geiszler Family History: George married Evaline

Previously, I shared about the young life of George Joseph Geiszler who was born on 8 Jun 1886. He is my fraternal great-grandfather. I'd like to continue that story now.

George Joseph Geiszler and his bride Evaline Townley Peak c. 1920
George Joseph Geiszler and his bride
Evaline Townley Peak c. 1920



 George, 32, married Evaline Townley Peak, 25, on 6 Jun 1918 in Columbus, Franklin, Ohio. I do not know much about the actual wedding. But I have learned some great information about how they met and who played matchmaker.

Evaline met George through the efforts of Bess Short. Bess (or Bette Ellen Short, don't know her maiden name) was the mother of Evaline's deceased fiance Carl F. Short. Carl had died 27 May 1916 after the couple took pre-wedding photos but not before the wedding took place.


Gravemarker for Carl F Short 1894 - 1918
Photo c. 1920


I have a photograph of Carl's gravestone in Green Lawn Cemetery taken in the 1920s. But I am uncertain if I found his listing on Find-A-Grave. The only Short who has the birth year of 1894 and death of 1916 is Francis C Short. I would love it if a volunteer will help me solve the mystery. But first I need to request the section number of the interment. I think I found his death record on FamilySearch.org. The easily excitable person in my wants to jump to the conclusion that yes, this is Carl Short. But until I see a modern photo of the stone at Green Lawn, I'm going to just say I have a hunch.

Apparently, Bess and Evaline were out at a fair when Bess noticed George Geiszler. She pointed George out to Evaline and suggested that the young lady should get to know George. I don't really know if Bess knew George prior to this. My imagination suggests that Bess thought George was handsome and pointed him out to Evaline. And, I'm glad she did because the two young people became my great-grandparents. And, from what I understand, they loved each other very much.

George Joseph Geiszler on honeymoon
George Joseph Geiszler who caught the eye of Bess Short
for her deceased son's fiance.


Sometime after this meeting, the two were married. It seems that Bess was a true friend to her son's fiance even after his death. And, it seems that George was very grateful for Bess to recommend him to Evaline.

It should be pointed out that the couple married during the last year of the US involvement in World War I. While the conflict resulted in the registration of nearly 26 million men from the United States for military service, George was not called up to serve. He did complete a registration card three months after he married Evaline. He was living at 1150 Medill Street and worked as a Pattern Maker for. He was of medium height, but I can't read the build type. The registration date was 9-10-1918, three months after he married Evaline.

I am SO grateful for my great aunt Margie Geiszler Wasson for keeping a scrapbook of her ancestor's photos. I'm thankful that she wrote and shared these stories with her daughter Nancy. And I'm even more grateful that my hubby watched the five kiddos last May so that I could visit with Nancy and learn the story of Evaline and George's meeting, and who encouraged the match.

Comments

  1. What a fascinating story-- bittersweet. Sad that she was parted from her fiancee, but nice that her would-be mil set her up with her husband and your ancestor. How weird to think that if Carl Short had not died, you wouldn't be here!

    Yes, definitely see if you can find out his plot number and put out a request. You could do this without a plot numbe,r but in my experience a volunteer is more likely to fulfill your request if you have that information. \

    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America