Surname Saturday - Henry Geiszler and Maggie Hoppie's Religious Records

I'll include religious documentation below, but I wanted to include some historical context as well for my history. I found this information on the book History of Franklin County (1858) found in Chapter 36 Churches of Columbus which has been lovingly placed on the internet by Leona Gustafson.

"In 1844, the German Methodist Church, at the northwest corner of Third street and South Public Lane, was erected, and the German part of the congregation generally met there."

The Pastor for the German Methodist, in 1857, was Rev. Paul Brodbeck and the total number of members was sixty.

Henry and Maggie Geiszler attended was is said to be called Zion German Methodist & Episcopal. And were married in 1882. In 1886, the name was changed to First German Methodist & Episcopal church.

Of all the Methodist Church photographs through the Columbus Metropolitan Library Index, I can not figure out which church was the Zion German or the First German church located on Third Street and South Public Lane. I can't find any other reference to the German Methodist Church through a elementary level Google search. So... I wish I could learn more about the church, congregation, pastor, etc. I don't know how/where I could learn more about this.



In any case, here are the zoomed in records from the church. I do have the full page as an image on my home computer. I need to figure out what the actual source would be for this image. My dear cousin sent me the image but no exact source information.  

Zion German Methodist Church, Marriage records
This is the marriage of Henry Geisler to Magdalen Hoppe in Juli 1882.


Zion German Methodist Church, Baptism records, 1883
This the baptism record for Henry and Maggie's first son, William. I can determine some of what this record says, but not all. I'd LOVE to get this transcribed.

Zion German Methodist Church, Baptism records, 1885

This the baptism record for Henry and Maggie's second son, George. I can determine some of what this record says, but not all. I'd LOVE to get this transcribed. This record was created by an entirely different recorder than the previous Baptism record. Perhaps they have a new pastor as well as that name is different.

In any case, here are three of the religious records for some of my great-grandparents. Now... how do I a) get these records transcribed and b) track down a source record? And, what should I do next along the religious lines?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America