How Many Ways Can You Spell Pusecker?


When growing up, I was insistent that you spelled my German last name with an S-Z. Any other variation was wrong and I believed that anyone who spelled it differently would not be my relative. I was alone in thinking spellings for last names was fixed. I only correct people when they pronounce my first and middle name incorrectly.

Having learned from a variety of sources about the need to generate a list of name variations, I have attempted to create such a list for the Pueseckers who are members of my Maeck FAN Club.


The individuals I'm researching settled in Franklin County, Ohio beginning in 1845. Few Pueseckers have left that area, which makes my research location narrow.
  1. Buckeser
  2. Busacker
  3. Buseker
  4. Pasenger
  5. Persaker
  6. Puesecker
  7. Pusaker
  8. Pusecke
  9. Pusecoier
  10. Puseker
  11. Pusicker
  12. Puesecker
Having a running list of how the names appear in different validated records makes finding them a little easier in subsequent research.

I entered the last name into the 1890 Veterans Schedules starting at the first variation and working my way down the list. I finally when I used the #7 Pusaker name variation. And the record discovered used the #10 variation.

Charles Pueseker 1890 Veterans Census
Source Citation Year: 1890; Census Place: Prairie, Franklin, Ohio; Roll: 69; Page: 1; Enumeration District: 123
Ancestry.com. 1890 Veterans Schedules [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005.

And this, new to me, the record says that Charles (#11 on document) was in a Rebel Prison for 31 days! Ohhh... that's a juicy story.

I searched the U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918. in the same method and found an 1872 entry with the last name of C Busiker.

Charles Pueseker 1872 Plat Map
C. Busiker, Collection Number: G&M_30; Roll Number: 30. Ancestry.com. U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.

Now, there is a map line going through the last name, so perhaps it is spelled Pusiker. Both of these are new variations but it was discovered searching for Variation #2 Busacker.

Those are just some of the record collections and the discoveries I made for Pueseckers by having a running list of spelling variations. Truthfully, it took some time to discover the B and P connection. Once I had, it made finding more records so much easier.

What name variation lists do you have? What is the most surprising name variation you've uncovered?

Comments

  1. I am wee familiar with the B-P confusion with German names. Mine is Eppard - Eppart - Ebert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My German surname, Kaechle, also has an incredible variety of spellings. With it, I have even seen the initial "K" transcribed as a "B." Yes, it makes things complicated! But, I need to make a list and go down the list like you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These lists are so helpful. The K transcribed as a B? Oh dear. How did you figure that one out?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?