Journey to the Past: Back to Columbus Metropolitan Library


After a large tray of fruit for breakfast, I headed back downtown to finish up my research at the library. Though I could have looked up Columbus Dispatch Obituaries, the obit request process is so simple. I can have my aunt order up to four obituaries per month and they're sent to her email box. In about 3 months I could have the obituaries I know I need for the time being. So, I decided to skip going to the obituaries.

I went back to the Genealogy section on the third floor. My goal? Smaller plat maps. I asked the staff working the help desk and he knew exactly where to direct me. Plus, he walked me over there personally. THANK YOU for kindness. It's every where I tell ya. All this kindness on my journey to the past has been overwhelming. 

Franklin County Plat Book taken from the official tax books of
Franklin County ; drawn by Darrell Dudley.


Okay, plat maps. I had my spreadsheet with the names and locations of individuals I should be able to find on the plat maps. I had a lot of success with the Franklin County Plat Book drawn by Darrell Dudley. There were a few references that I couldn't find. I found the writing on the 1842 and some 1856 maps blurred at times. However, the 1883 maps were wonderful. 

1856 Prairie Township Plat Map
(Franklin County Plat Book taken from the official tax books of
Franklin County ; drawn by Darrell Dudley.)

I snapped photos of the large maps of the area and then zoomed into the actual plat locations. Perfect. Perspective is always helpful. The only thing I could have done differently is my 'trick' from the photos with my Geiszler cousins. Writing the names of the persons I was looking at and taking a picture. Or simply, pointing at the names I was examining in one photo and then taking a second photo without the pointer. The written note would have been easier as I'm only one person with one pair of hands and both need to be on the camera. Having a pointer that stayed where it laid wasn't always practical. In any case, I had plat maps for more than just one family and this told me SO MUCH.

Highlight of Conrad Greener's land on the 1856
Prairie Township Plat Map

I also thought to photograph the land where people settled before and perhaps after they appeared on the map. Perhaps this would also lead me to records of ownership transfer. I wish there were more frequent maps, like a city directory or even the census, rather that the big gaps between 1842, 1856, and 1883. Nevertheless, I was happy with what I found.

If I had more time, I would have loved to look at the Palatine to America collection in the CML. But, I needed to wrap up my research. Although I had spent every night scanning photos and documents, I had a mound of scanning to do. It was time to stop getting additional research and process what I already had. Besides, lunch in historic German Village was awaiting at a place called Schmidt's Sausage Haus. I'd never eaten German food before, something about being a picky eater. 

So, I packed things up and had a great lunch date with my sweet aunt. The German food was so good I just might eat it again.

This is another installment in a lengthy multi-series post about the fantastic research trip I took to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio. If you're just joining the this series, you'll be able to see every post under the label Research Trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America