Journey to the Past: Distant Cousin David


Another person I was hoping to meet on my trip was David Geiszler. On Friday, May 25th, I would meet him. David lives in the home of his father. He is also interested in Genealogy but we have vastly different approaches to research and to why we research. Our connection comes through my 2nd great-grandfather Henry Joseph Geiszler, son of Joseph Geiszler and Caroline Mack Geiszler Billman.

We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast at Bob Evan's (another big thing to my Ohio raised mother). It was fitting to go eat there. We talked about family members, faith and values, and much, much more. I learned more about spotted sheep on the Geiszler family tree. My heart breaks for all of these sheep. If I may be bold, the common factor in these stories is drugs and alcohol (but alcohol longer than drugs). Alcohol can be enjoyed as a flavorful drink, much akin to a cold lemonade on a hot day. However, the difference between lemonade and alcoholic drinks is how the later effects some persons and destroys lives. I'll be honest. I'm thankful that my father conquered his drinking habit and taught me never to touch the stuff.

Since I've been in regular contact with David, our visit was more social than research-related. However, he did give me access to his research files regarding common family members. I found these notes and files fascinating. I could see where he sent queries and what his responses were. The only thing I couldn't figure out is why he sent the particular queries. 

James Kinnard, listed in the 1860 US Census in Prairie, Franklin, Ohio
James sold the property to my Geiszler and Mack relatives.

In fact, one such query involves the diary of James Kinnard. He had learned that Mr. Kinnard had kept a meticulous diary. Mr. Kinnard is also the person from whom Joseph Geiszler, Henrich Mack, and Karl Puesecker bought adjoining land parcels. Apparently, each family also sold the land back to him. Here's what I can't figure out:
  • Where did Cousin David find the land transaction documents?
  • Where did he learn of the diary?

In any case, his attempts to have the diary investigated by the person in possession of it has failed to date. He did this investigation in the 90s. Does the person he contacted still have the diary?

Half scan of record from St Paul Lutheran Church
Copies in possession of David G. Geiszler

David also had complete copies of various church records. When I attempted to scan these documents, they were much larger than my 'standard' size scanner could handle. So, I took these records home to have my hubby use his industrial scanner to process the documents. His scanner feed loads the paper and will scan until the document shoots out the end of it. It can also handle pages in quick succession. WHEW! Super handy. Don't need one every day, but certainly nice to have access to.

Now, it will take a lot of time to process all that David provided me. But I'm thankful for the information and I can't wait to see where everything leads. Time to go back to the Columbus Metropolitan Library.

This is another installment in a lengthy multi-series post about the fantastic research trip I took to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio. If you're just joining this series, you'll be able to see every post under the label Research Trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?