Amanuensis Monday: William Gessner

Here is another 'non-family' transcriptions of naturalization records that I found while searching for Franklin County, Ohio. Records. I hope someone might find their relative amongst my research.

I don't know who William Gessener is. I have been searching for clues to when my 3rd great-grandfather Joseph Geisßer came to America. Gessener looks similar to Geißler so I saved the record. I could lead to something, but probably not as my ancestor calmed to be from Baden not Prussia. But are Prussia and Baden the same place? This is worth saving and possibly investigating. But it might be a wrong turn.


Declaration of Intention.
Court of Common Pleas, Franklin County Ohio.


The State of Ohio, Franklin County, SS

Be it remembered that on the 9th day of April of the year eighteen hundred and fifty-five, PERSONALLY APPEARED before me ALBERT B BUTTLES, Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas, within and for said County and State, William Gessener an Alien, a native of Prussia who being duly sworn according to law, on his oath doth declare and say that it is bona fide his intention to become a citizen of the United States, and to renounce forever all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign Prince, Potentate, State, or Sovereignty, whatever and more particularly all allegiance and fidelity to the King of Prussia whose subject he is.

Attest: A B Buttles, Clerk


Comments

  1. Devon - I remember being told that the Geiszler's who came to America were from Prussia. They left because of the Napoleonic wars and didnt want to be drafted.

    I think it was the Geiszlers. It could have been Zumpsteins. I can't thoroughly remember. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the Zumsteins that left Germany during the Napolean push. As for the Geiszlers, I still have no idea. Joseph is a mystery.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?