Journey to the Past: Green Lawn Cemetery Section P


I had originally planned on going to section 35. I know this plot well and exactly where it is. I've been to it several times, most recently in January when my Grandmother was laid to rest. As I drove past the section, I could see from my car that my grandmother's stone was not in place. I already had photos of the other family members on the plot, so I decided I didn't need to visit the section.

So I drove to Section P. I was hoping to find my third-great grandfather Charles GORDON (1801 – 1873). He was buried on a plot jointly owned by George C Wolford and Oakman A Booker, his sons-in-laws. His wife Jane Fickle GORDON (1803-1865) was buried in Walnut Grove Cemetery in Worthington. I would attempt to visit her grave site the following day. I found it fascinating that Jane was buried on Spencer B Morgan's plot and Charles was buried on his sons-in-law's plot. Why not together? Or, do I have the wrong Jane GORDON. That would be for tomorrow to determine? 

Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus, Ohio
Section P
(Oriented for north)

In searched all over. This section had a lot of blank spaces, perhaps where stones could have been but were no longer. It also had a lot of stones that were in very poor condition. In any case, I could not figure out the map and had a third thing to ask about in the office. Now I knew I was going to run into problems with that many difficulties. (This map has the information I'd later gather from the office.)

This is another installment in a lengthy multi-series post about the fantastic research trip I took to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio. If you're just joining the this series, you'll be able to see every post under the label Research Trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America