Journey to the Past: Green Lawn Cemetery part 1

I've been posting about the amazing journey I took to Columbus, Ohio to seek after my ancestors on my mother's and father's side. Since I live so far away from Columbus, I knew I couldn't just pick one family name and focus on them. I wanted to maximize my time in the various places, particularly in Green Lawn Cemetery.

Prior to my trip, I had searched through my family tree, using RootsMagic, to find any person who died in Franklin County, Ohio. I then cross referenced that list with the Green Lawn Cemetery Burials listings hosted by Joe Fleshman. I also searched the Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953 database hosted by FamilySearch.org. I had a list of 60 closely and remotely related persons that were definitely buried in Green Lawn Cemetery. Now I had a problem, how would I get their plot numbers?

When I contacted Green Lawn Cemetery, I was informed that it would cost me $3 per name to get that information. YIKES. That's $180. However, if I went to the Columbus Metropolitan Library, the Green Lawn records are available on microfilm. "Yeah!" (said with heavy sarcasm) "Spending a day searching microfilm before I could search the cemetery." Spending the time and money didn't make a lot of sense. Enter another solution, a volunteer looked up all the names and sent me the burial cards. Sweet! Now I had the lot numbers and maps where to go. (I will concede that perhaps the Green Lawn staff would have given me the location of the stones and were charging $3 for the burial records. If that's the case, we had a misunderstanding. Nevertheless, thanks to an AWESOME volunteer, I had the burial records and the plot section numbers).

While my hubby tended our five children 10 hours away at our home, I tromped through cemeteries. On May 21st, I rose early to spend the entire day in Green Lawn Cemetery.

I would visit the following sections, specifically looking for the following persons:

Section 30: Leslie Akison
Section 46: Magdalena Geiszler
Section 47: Spencer C Ranck, Lillian Ranck, Infant son Ranck, and Maria Schmipf
Section 62: Samuel and Caroline Barton, Julius and Frederick Bergener
Section 64: John and Minnie Borst, Ida Eisel
Section 69: Horace Ranck
Section 74: George Karlsberger, Frederich and Wilhelmina Gerlacher, Katherine Gast
Section 75: Harry and Freda Barnes
Section 82: George and Evaline Geiszler, Carl Richard Geiszler (but I covered the day before)
Section 84: William and Sarah Stone
Section 93: William T and Evaline Peak; William Richard Peak, John Karlsberger, Marie Lange, Elmer Ranck, Eugene Brown, Charles Morrow
Section 112: Frederick and Juanita Gerlacher
Section 113: Marion and Nellie Bush
Section L: William Webb
Section P: Charles Gordon
Section S: Elsie Baumgartner
 Section V: Annie M Geiszler, Infant son Geiszler, Christopher Hoppe Sr, Christopher Hoppe Jr, Anne M Hoppe

There were a few additional sections on my list, if I had time to get to.

I had a lot of sections to visit in this massive cemetery.
They're are highlighted in mauve. Could I do it?


Whew! Are you tired yet? I knew I had a lot of names, but I would also have time to take pictures of additional headstones. It was time to get cracking.

This is another installment in a lengthy multi-series post about the fantastic research trip I took to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio. If you're just joining the this series, you'll be able to see every post under the label Research Trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America