Journey to the Past: Green Lawn Cemetery Section 64

Whew! What a lot of ground I covered on a hot day in Columbus, Ohio. I know I lived in Texas, but gesh, 80 degrees up north was awful. If you're doing cemetery work on a hot day, all I can say is pack A TON of water. 

Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus, Ohio
Map of Section 64
Click for Larger View


Nevertheless, I was at my final section that I would cover on this trip to Green Lawn Cemetery. I had drive past several soldier sections which were pretty impressive in their own right. And many had flags beside their stones. Soon, more would have the flags in preparation for the Memorial Day weekend. However, I had only had strength and water for one more section then I needed to head to my aunt's home and cool off.

I was returning to the Gerlacher family in this section. My great grand-uncle's wife Clara had another sister buried in Green Lawn along with her husband. Minnie Gerlacher BORST (1888 – 1947) and John M BORST (1886 – 1953). I found a stone for Minnie and her daughter but not one for her husband. Very interesting. I snapped 12 more photos and called it a day.

Minnie F Borst, 1888 - 1947
Section 64
Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus, Ohio
Find A Grave Memorial # 51614928
 I felt AWESOME having found most of those I sought after. I felt sadness about the plots with no stones or markers of any kind. I had visited with a wonderful cemetery patron. I had been helped by the Green Lawn staff. And I had done some volunteer work. If I had only driven to Columbus for this, I would have gone home happy. But oh no. I had 5 more days to do research. The next day I would be going to several cemeteries throughout Franklin County. And I  would hopefully increase the number of useable photos from  339 to 500.

This is another installment in a lengthy multi-series post about the fantastic research trip I took to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio. If you're just joining the this series, you'll be able to see every post under the label Research Trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America