Journey to the Past: Skipped Sections?


Although Section U was right next to V, I decided to skip it. For Columbus, it was getting extremely hot. I was feeling fatigued and I had additional sections to visit. Section U had one of those distant cousin's parents. Although I really wanted to get the photo, I felt best to skip it. Sorry Marion George BUSH, someone else will just have to visit you later. 

Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus, Ohio
Section L

I visited Section L looking for the father of my great-grand father Andrew Nelson SMITH's second wife Marietta Webb SMITH. The couple is buried in Section 35 and I have photos of their stones. However, I wanted to complete Marietta's story with a photo of her English immigrant father William WEBB (1816-1905). I was confused when looking at the map, so I knew I had ANOTHER map to take into the office.

The reasons this bothered me was because I didn't think the staff at Green Lawn would be accommodating with a long list of names to look up. I also really didn't want to pay the $3 per name for the information I sought. Call me cheap, but I didn't. I was confident that they would be happy to help with one or two names. The more names I had, the more irritated they would be with me. HOWEVER, I had tried to make this trip go smoothly by planning ahead. I guess I really should have realized that some section maps had numbers that were nearly impossible to read early on. Additionally, I should have known I would need some significant reference points for section maps, like those found on Section map S. Nevertheless, I would ask them to at least help me read the unreadable maps. And then perhaps help me orient myself with the ones I just didn't understand. Hopefully that wasn't asking to much. We'll see.

I wasn't about to give up hope on Section L, but I would be skipping U. But if I didn't find some family members again soon, I was going to feel very discouraged. So much for the highs of the day before and earlier this morning.


This is another installment in a lengthy multi-series post about the fantastic research trip I took to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio. If you're just joining the this series, you'll be able to see every post under the label Research Trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America