Journey to the Past: Lessons Learned About Photographing Grave Stones

I was surprised with all the things I learned while I was at the Green Lawn Cemetery.  I had read a lot of great websites about the act of taking grave stones. I did my best to treat the stones carefully and create a clear historical document for other researchers, and myself. I didn't try to be artistic, as I'm not that skilled with a camera yet. However, I did learn a few things that weren't on any list.

Lessons Learned:

  • I really like taking volunteer photographs of grave stones. I look forward to doing some of this in Iowa when I return.
  • Have clear cemetery maps before embarking on a quest. Get 'orientation' stones in large sections to help establish barrings.
  • It's often easier to just snap a section down the line rather than seeking out individual requests.
  • A painter type brush and scrub brush are helpful in preparing stones for photographing.
  • Use a reflector or light blocker more to create even light on a stone.
  • Check a stone's photo before moving on to ensure you have a clear picture. (Perhaps do this in your car if the sun is too bright to read the LCD monitor on your camera)
  • Take LOTS of water
  • A team can cover more ground efficiently rather than a solo volunteer

    Section 35
    Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus, Ohio

Items to Learn More About

  • How to pace myself so I don't wear out
  • Take photos of the plots with no stones. That photo is just as valuable as the plot with a stone.
  • Take more whole plot photos to see remember the relationship of stones in addition to the head stones.

This is another installment in a lengthy multi-series post about the fantastic research trip I took to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio. If you're just joining the this series, you'll be able to see every post under the label Research Trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America