Journey to the Past: Sunset Cemetery, Galloway, Ohio


I LOVE my GPS, but it isn't fool proof. Or, this owner doesn't really know how to make it work. In any case, you HAVE to know that Sunset Cemetery is in Galloway not in Columbus. Otherwise, you'll be 30 minutes on the WRONG side of Columbus. Thankfully, when I figured this out, a wonderful brake shop took pity on this crazy lady with no cell phone, called the cemetery and I got my GPS pointed in the right direction.

I'll admit that Sunset Cemetery had me worried prior to my arrival. I was told that they couldn't give me a section map and that they'd take me to my stones when I arrived. Really? I don't want to set an appointment that I can't keep. I want a flexible schedule to visit cemeteries. However, the cemetery took the names I was interested in (so I limited it to family only).

When I got to the right side of town, I saw a very nice cemetery. When I went inside the office, I was so pleased. Bill had made sure that the staff knew I was coming, who I was looking for, and had prepared a map with highlighted section information for me. THANK YOU!

All was set and off I went to find my Dad's uncle George Barton GEISZLER and his wife Mary Ruth Smith GEISZLER. I had hoped to find a stone for Thomas Tillinghart MULFORD, but he apparently doesn't have a marker. 

The cemetery provided me with a labeled aerial map. Sweet. I could see things like trees to orient me. Then I had the easy to read and understand section map. I soon found George and Mary Ruth. I snapped 50 photos in all and left the cemetery. 

George Barton Geiszler
Sunset Cemetery

THANK YOU Sunset cemetery for being so easy to deal with. I had dreaded going out there based on phone conversations (the whole meet with someone to go to the sections), but I should not have. All cemeteries should be as easy to work with as you and St. Joseph's cemetery.

This is another installment in a lengthy multi-series post about the fantastic research trip I took to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio. If you're just joining the this series, you'll be able to see every post under the label Research Trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America