Journey to the Past: Green Lawn Cemetery Section 46


Okay... now I was REALLY looking forward to this section. First, my 2ndgrandmother Maggie HoppeGEISZLER was buried there. 


Maggie should be found on her sister Annie Hoppe ROSS's plot along with several infants. Now, I figured the infants wouldn't have stones, just like George and Evaline Geiszler's little girl from Sunday's visit. But I certainly could find Annie and Maggie. Plus, it was a rather small section so I just might be able to complete the whole section of volunteer photographs. Perhaps a crazy idea, but I wanted to try. Then I would take a lunch break, visit the office, and return to the southern half of the cemetery.

Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus, Ohio
Map of Section 46

Click on image for larger view

Section 46 is a small section and the map fairly easy to understand. HOWEVER, I struck out again, or at least I'm confident I did. I didn't find Maggie's stone anywhere. I had forgotten that I was also looking for Annie Ross' stone as well. In any case, I just didn't see them and I walked the whole section. Ugh!!!! Having not found Maggie's stone, or her parents, I was frustrated this time. I had really, really wanted to find Maggie. But I didn't. 

Stone with the name Maggie found in Section 46
Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus, Ohio

I did find a stone that said MAGGIE. I like to imagine that this was my 2ndgreat-grandmother's stone though I know it isn't. The stone actually belongs to a larger monument with the name Maggie Fager on it. At least, I think it does. I didn't see any additional small stones connected with the larger monument. So maybe it's my Maggie. But I don't feel that it is. In any case, I like the stone saying, Maggie. Maybe someday I'll have someone double-check for me if my hunch that it is not my Maggie is correct.

Nevertheless, I decided I would photograph this section. I took 50 purely volunteer stones before I was getting overheated, needed a break, and packed up. As I was doing, a man asked me if I was taking photos for the Green Lawn Cemetery calendar competition. I had read about this so but I told the man I wasn't doing photographs for this reason. He didn't seem the hostile sort, so I told him what I was doing. Searching for the stones of my ancestors and taking volunteer photos for the FindAGrave website. He found that fascinating. He never did tell me why he was at the cemetery. He just liked visiting it. We had a wonderful chant and I had the first of many encounters with wonderful strangers about genealogy. (Running total: 202 useable photos)


This is another installment in a lengthy multi-series post about the fantastic research trip I took to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio. If you're just joining this series, you'll be able to see every post under the label Research Trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Mother's Day Lura Long

Mystery Monday: Which Karlsberger married Charles Stahl?

Joseph Geissler: Coming to America